A registered patent attorney, Kevin McNish represents clients in inter partes reviews (IPRs), post-grant reviews (PGRs), ex parte reexaminations, and other proceedings in the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
With first-chair experience spanning more than 90 IPRs and other Patent Trial and Appeal Board proceedings, he has been repeatedly recognized as one of the most prolific and effective PTAB practitioners and strategists in the United States. Across those proceedings, he has drafted petitions and responsive briefs; taken and defended expert depositions; and argued at oral hearings. He also maintains an active appellate practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, where he has both briefed and argued appeals of PTAB proceedings.*
Outside of his work for McNish PLLC, Kevin is a committed member of the PTAB Bar Association, where he serves as Chair of the Technology Committee and the District Court / International Trade Commission Desk Editor for the biweekly PTAB Roundup newsletter. He regularly speaks about practice before the PTAB and Federal Circuit, and has spoken at national events hosted by the PTAB Bar Association and the Practising Law Institute (PLI).
Before launching McNish PLLC, Kevin was a partner at Desmarais LLP in New York, New York, where he built and led the firm’s nationally recognized PTAB practice. Before that, he practiced patent prosecution and litigation as an associate at Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear LLP in Orange County, California.
* Includes experience obtained at previous law firms.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, ABA/BNA Award for Excellence in the Study of Intellectual Property
- B.A., Vanderbilt University, Physics, Mathematics, and Art History (High Honors), magna cum laude
- State Bar of Maine
- State Bar of New York
- State Bar of California
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- PTAB Bar Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Maine State Bar Association